Well folks, it’s done! The pirate bridesmaid costume was created from the Simplicity 2172 pattern as the base of the design. However, I needed it to look more pirate-like so I went through PatternFile to look at images of the patterns I owned and what style of collar and cuff I wanted to use. Being able to not only search my patterns but my friends patterns who also have PatternFile Plus to see what I might use was super handy. I’m a huge fan of high collars. For this element I used the base of the collar stand from Burda 2471. I didn’t find the type of cuff I wanted in my collection so I decided to be daring and pattern my own. In the long run I think that was a good idea because then I could design the cuff as an exact match to the sleeve.
The weather on the island where the wedding will take place ranges from very warm to very cool at night and after making this awesome coat I wanted to make sure I could wear it the whole time dang it! Thus, I opted for detachable sleeves. This was accomplished by finishing the shoulders and adding grommets and ribbons to tie on the sleeve. After constructing the coat completely, I realized I wasn’t comfortable with the single tie at the top so I added a few extra ties at key points. There was a bit of a discussion on Sew, What’s New? and facebook as to how I wanted to make the sleeve more secure.
Another issue I ran into was loops. I completely dislike making those from scratch. So I used lacing for my loops. Plus I like how it matches with the lacing. The instructions always tell you to pin the loops in place and base stitch them. However, this material and the thin lacing, that method wasn’t going to work. To solve that issue, I used sotch tape and lightly taped the loops in place and base stitched. After stitching, I simply pealed off the tape.
I wanted to make the coat look more piratey and lavish so I added lace on the pocket flaps. Pockets! I love how the coat pattern had functioning pockets and not just a flap. This will be very handy as a bridesmaid.
Overall, the patter was moderate in difficulty. I would love to make another one of these some day and may start using the pattern without the sleeves for the elven costume designs for LARP.
The rest of the look:
I didn’t have time to make the corset so I just bought one. The hat was covered from a cheap costume pirate hat I had around the household.
I’m making wrap pants in navy blue poly poplin using McCall’s 6720 vintage pattern I borrowed from my mother’s collection. I love being able to see her collection on PatternFile and borrow.
And of course, black suede pirate boots!